Thursday, October 7, 2010

Season Wrap-up

As I take a few easy weeks of training before I begin my off-season the top professionals in the sport are gearing up for the biggest weekend of their year. I have had a week to relax and take an overview of my season. I was fortunate enough to have a great season, friends and family that supported me through the year, and great sponsors. The staff and my fellow teammates at Trisports.com were truly amazing. I talked pretty big last year about how I was going to win all the prestigious races of New Mexico in 2010, but there was really no certainty, just my outspoken thoughts of what I was shooting for. Trisports.com decided to take a chance and sponsor me. I’m truly grateful to have had the chance to be a part of this elite team. For the most part, I delivered what I promised for 2010. I started the season as an underdog and ended as a favorite to win the overalls. I have really grown as an athlete and ambassador of the sport this season with Trisports.com at my side. I want to thank them again for the opportunity and support that they have given me this season.
 I had six overall wins, two 2nd place finishes, and a 5th overall in my first Olympic distance to wrap up the season. My experience in the Elephant Man was a positive eye opener. My performance in this race made me realize I’m able to step up to the next level. My biggest issue during this race was “the unknown.” Since I haven’t competed in this distance before I wasn’t for sure exactly how hard I could push myself. The course was also a big issue. It was up and down the whole day and I was worried that going hard on one climb could seal my fate. The fear of pushing too hard on the bike or too early on the run and blowing up was consistently running through my mind. With this being a concern I played it safe.  Once I crossed the finish line I was surprised by how much I had left in the tank. It was a little disappointing that I didn’t go all out and leave everything on the course, but satisfying that I was only 4 minutes behind the winning time even after conserving so much. This performance left me excited for the 2011 season and anxious to start the off-season. I will be training specifically for Olympic distance races this off-season. For the 2011 season these races will be my main focus.  
A friend and fellow competitor, Steven Montoya, will be competing in Hawaii this Sunday. Good luck to Steven and all the athletes competing this weekend in the Ironman World Championship.
I reached many milestones this season. One I will never forget is my first overall victory. After several top 5 finishes in ’09 I was hungry to win an overall after a long off-season.
 One that will be fresh in my memory for years to come….
The mountains made for a beautiful backdrop, but brutal course

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog