Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Taste of Winter

After struggling through a very challenging week, weather wise, I am ready to get things rolling again! Last week was extremely tough and definitely ranks high on the “worst weather I have ever experienced scale.” Missing five solid days of swimming, due to pool closure, is just the beginning of this nightmare week. Temperatures were in the low-teens without the 20 mph wind chill. I did however; attempt a very chilly run Wednesday morning. I was tired of being cooped up inside and decided to face Mother Nature head-on. I had a light breeze and the temp was in the mid-teens. Not surprisingly, the weather won with me cutting the run 3 miles short. I’ve been cold several times in my life, but that was a totally different ball game. After this experience I decided not to be naive and stay inside until it warmed up. Sunday was my first outside ride in six days. In short, it was the warmest 45 degrees I have ever ridden in.
Starting up the new week yesterday, it was still a bit cold, but warming up. I took a chilly ride in the A.M. and was able to turn around and have a great run set in the afternoon. I didn’t hit my fastest times, but battling through the elements and a little fatigue I was left very satisfied with what went down on that solitary farm road. Another cold front is going to hit Wednesday, but it won’t last for long. By the weekend it will be in the high 60s, which leaves me very happy. The intense training sessions are becoming more important every day. The start of the season is among us and my first race is only two weeks away!
Ready to wave off the cold weather and say hello to the warmer months!
Safe training 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog