Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tri-Dreaming

As I sit at the end of my bed typing, my legs continue to twitch uncontrollably. These unexpected spasms have been quite common here lately. I take the twitching as a sign that my legs are ready to race. The past few months I’ve only been able to talk about how excited I am for the season to start. The anxiety continues to build and overflow into my muscles and… dreams?
Yes, even my dreams are being bombarded by the triathlon lifestyle. A few of these dreams were very clear and had a very real feeling to them (kind of creepy). One of the first dreams, and possibly the strangest, was that Seton Claggett (Trisports.com CEO) bought the fast-food franchise Arby’s. He then held a meeting where he invited all of the Trisports.com Triathlon Team members. During this meeting he encouraged all of us to buy Arby’s stock. Mark Tripp and I were the only two to accept the business offer put on the table by Seton. We thought, at the time, that it would be a great idea and our new team could be called Trisports.com presented by Arby’s. Long story short- the paperwork fell through and I eventually woke up.
Unfortunately, not all of the triathlon related dreams were this lighthearted. A few years ago I read a psychology article discussing how stressful dreams can be. I would soon learn this was a very true statement. During one of these more stressful dreams I drove for hours to a race and didn’t realize until the swim warm up that I had forgotten my water bottles. In other dreams I forgot my wetsuit, missed a start time, lost my goggles, and even locked my keys in my car with all of my tri gear still inside. FYI- I have actually experienced each of these scenarios in real life throughout my two seasons as a triathlete.  Around the third disastrous dream I woke up covered in sweat and my heart was pounding.  After these vivid and quite colorful events I think the season needs to start pretty soon.  I’m not really sure where I was going with all of this, but hopefully it will get a few reads and lighten up someone’s week just a little bit!
Safe Training and Keep Dreaming

           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog