Friday, September 10, 2010

Blog Numero Uno

When I initially set up this blog hundreds of ideas were running through my mind of what I should write about. I was quickly influenced by an episode of The Office playing on the television in the background. In the episode, Dwight was teaching Ryan the ropes on his first sells call. Dwight mentioned an acronym that Michael taught him on his first sells call; it was K-I-S-S (keep it simple stupid). Once I heard this it was all too clear of what I should write about, my fellow competitors. I’ve only been competing in triathlons for two seasons now, but I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the greatest people. I soon realized that the friendships I make through this great sport will last for the rest of my life. Even the people I may only see a few times a year, I consider some of my closest and dearest friends. The bond between fellow triathletes is something that is unexplainable. The sacrifices, early mornings, and the extensive traveling are all something we go through to stand at the start line. We are able to sit in a group and talk about bricks, wattage, and the occasional saddle sore while people passing by think we’re talking in code. Earlier this season I realized how special these relationships are.


What started as the competition congratulating me at the finish line has resulted in a great training partner and close friend. In my last race I walked away from a conversation with one of my biggest rivals feeling I could take on the world. All the advice he gave me and the confidence that I could win any race I set my mind to is a great example of the type of people that are involved in this sport. So, in your next race talk to as many people as you can. You never know, you may end up with a new friend, training partner, or even a new rival!

Thanks and safe training,

Rance

3 comments:

  1. this will be a good way to keep up with your training and results. good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a tough course, but you had good times. with the offseason coming up, maybe you can do some training in terrain similar to big spring, and you'll be ready for whatever they throw at you next season. when event is your most difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My next race will be the toughest of the year. It's a longer distance, difficult course, and strong competition. It will definately be an exciting one though!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog