Monday, September 13, 2010

Race Recap: Comanche Warrior

The Comanche Warrior Triathlon took place on Saturday, Sep. 11th in Big Spring, Texas. This event is a sprint with a 500 meter swim, 18.5 mile bike, and 5k run. This was my third year participating in this event and I have to say the city of Big Spring stepped it up again this season. The number of volunteers for this event was surreal. The organization, on course support, and route always leave me impressed.
Now for the race highlights!
I lead the race wire to wire. A few days before, I decided to put it all on the line during the bike. I wanted to totally drain my legs, knowing if I had a few minutes over the rest of the field I could hold out through the run. The race was in Texas which means, longer bike leg. Add in a rolling course through the whole 18.5, unexpected fog, and a little wind and you have a tough day. The turnaround was the perfect chance to see how much time I had over the field. I had a nice gap on the lead chase group, so I stuck with my original plan: put my head down and hammer. I wasn’t expecting a PR on the run, knowing it would be a bit slow after the day’s bike. When I hit the run it was obvious the bike course took its toll on everyone. The run is just as tough as the bike. On and off trails with insane grades just eat your legs. I stayed focused and pushed my body through the course. I consider this the hardest bike/run course for a sprint that I have competed in. I posted a link of the results below. Comanche was a great tune-up for my final race of the season.  If anyone is looking for an extremely challenging course with a great atmosphere and outstanding volunteers this is your race. Thanks again to the city of Big Spring and all of the outstanding volunteers!
Safe Training,
Rance
Results: http://www.comanchewarriortriathlon.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog